Ideal for: those with an interest in famous figures and history of the land. Hiking is required on all tours, but the shuttle service minimizes physical exertion.
“Far enough away to gain seclusion, yet within reach of those whose genuine interest prompts them to make the trip, Beaver Lodge extends a welcome if your heart is right.” ~ Grey Owl
A Waskesiu Marina Adventure Centre journey to Grey Owl’s Cabin begins at 8:00am when everyone rallies at the Adventure Centre and checks in. Shortly after the group travels to the Kingsmere River landing where the watercraft is unloaded and the true journey begins.
Water levels in the Kingsmere River determine the style of portage required to enter Kingsmere Lake. If water levels are high the group boards the craft and travels up stream to the rail car portage and transports the watercraft 700 metres before re-entering the river to finish the journey to Kingsmere Lake. If water levels are low it may be required to perform a carry portage to reach the rail car portage. A second carry may be required to travel the final distance to Kingsmere Lake however there is often enough water to float the craft to the lake.
After arriving at the south end of Kingsmere Lake the group again boards the craft for the 14 km trek across Kingsmere Lake. This journey skirts along the eastern shoreline of the lake providing opportunity to observe any wildlife that might be at the water’s edge. A number of points of interest can be observed on this journey and your guide will share both the natural and cultural significance of the area.
After traveling across Kingsmere Lake your journey brings you to the North End picnic sight on Kingsmere Lake. Here the group breaks for lunch. A delicious picnic lunch, including sandwiches, salads, fruit, sweets, and beverages is prepared for the group.
After this short break the group then begins another short 3 km hike to “Beaver Lodge” on the Shore of Ajawaan Lake. The group will again pass many points of interest along the way. Once we arrive at the cabin your guide will step back and let you take it all in. You will be free to explore the upper and lower cabin as well as the grave sites of Anahareo, Shirley Dawn and Grey Owl.
Once the group has had time to experience the site and the guide has answered any questions you might have, it is then time to begin the return journey back to Waskesiu. Once again the group hikes the 3 km to Kingsmere Lake, travels the 14 km to the south end and completes the portage out on the Kingsmere River. The group then travels back to the Waskesiu Lake Adventure Centre to check out.
In total this trip will take 8 to 9 hours to complete, depending on the chosen method of transportation and wind conditions on Kingsmere.
There are multiple modes of transportation options including:
NOTE: KINGSMERE SHUTTLE SUSPENDED JUNE 12, 2016 UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE DUE TO CLOSURE OF THE KINGSMERE ROAD FOR CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE REFER TO Prince Albert National Park’s website for further information. (www.pc.gc.ca/princealbert)
Kingsmere Shuttle Service
- The Shuttle will depart on Wednesday’s from June 26th – August 28th
- There will be 3 shuttles on the selected days.
- Northbound (Departure) Shuttle Times: 9:00am, 11:00am, 1:00pm
- Southbound (Return) Shuttle Times: 12:00pm, 2:00pm, 4:00pm
- Reservations must be made by 6:00pm, 2 days prior to the trip (Monday).
- No cancellations within 48hrs. $25 per person will be charged for no-show.
- Clients must stop in at the Waskesiu Marina to pay and pick up their ticket for the shuttle before they drive up to Kingsmere (at least 1hr prior to departure time).
- It takes about 30 minutes to drive from Waskesiu to the Kingsmere Parking Lot, and about 15-20 minutes to hike in to the Southend Campground. The Kingsmere Parking Lot is 32.5km from Waskesiu.
- At the Southend Campground you will meet the shuttle operator and the boat, and the driver will take you up to the Northend Picnic Site where you will be dropped off. The boat will return to pick you up at the designated time.
- From the Northend Picnic site you will hike into Grey Owl’s Cabin and then return to meet the boat. The hike into the cabin is approximately 3km from the Northend Picnic site and takes about 40-45 minutes to hike each way.
- Shuttle Service is weather dependant.
- Cost for Kingsmere Shuttle is: *
- $90 for 1 person
- $160 for 2 people
- $285 for 4 people
- $390 for 6 people (max group size)
- We are able to accommodate 18 people per day.
- Bring: Hat, Water Bottle, Jacket, Walking Shoes, Sunscreen, Bug Spray, Day Pack, Snacks/Lunch, Camera
- Reservations must be made with a Credit Card. For More Information, or Reservations: Call the Waskesiu Marina Adventure Centre at 663-1999.
Guided Trip by Motor Boat
- 16 ft Yamaha G3 Aluminium boat with an environmentally friendly 30 hp four-stroke motor, or 18 ft Yamaha G3 Aluminium boat with an environmentally friendly 40 hp four-stroke motor (accommodates up to 6 passengers)
- Base Rate: $500.00 (up to 6 people)
Create your own Adventure
- Rent our 16 ft or 18 ft Aluminium Boat for a self-guided adventure to Grey Owl’s Cabin. (accommodates up to 6 – 7 passengers, no picnic lunch provided for self-guided tours)
- Base Rate: Rate Total: 16 ft $425.00 / 18 ft $450.00 Delivery included (+GST/PST)
- Trips to Kingsmere operate on a day rate only o Over night boats + $375.00 (16 ft) / $395.00 (18 ft) first day + $225.00 (16 ft) / $250.00 (18 ft) per additional day (Includes 1 tank of fuel per day)